I’ve just finished reading a great post from this ain’t livin’, ‘On ‘Taking Care of Your Body’ and Value Judgments’, & it got me to thinking – what does “taking care of myself” mean to me? Because while others may use those words as a euphemism for how “healthy” (aka thin & toned), or appealing i may appear to them, the truth is, that how i take care of myself , & the level to which i do so are very personal, & have very little to do with how other people define “taking care of themselves”.
So what does “taking care of myself” mean to me?
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Spending time with friends
- Speaking to myself with kind & loving words
- Taking time out to relax (jigsaw puzzles, DVDs, colouring books, board games, or reading work great for me :))
- Connecting with nature
- Eating lots of fresh fruits & vegetables (oh how i love a big fruit salad or a fresh vegie juice!)
- Moving my body in fun & gentle ways – like going to the beach, dancing, or even climbing trees! 🙂
It means making time for, & allowing myself, to nourish not only my body, but also my soul. It means being gentle with myself, & seeking out balance. And it has nothing at all to do with what i weigh or how toned my arms are.
What do you do to take care of yourself?
What do those words mean to you?
(Images via: We ♥ it.)